For more than 65 years, the Anglican Foundation of Canada (AFC) has been a trusted guardian of the generous legacies of hundreds of Canadian Anglicans. The Foundation’s endowment, faithfully stewarded by clergy and lay leaders from across Canada, has resulted in disbursements totaling $40 million.
Through our commitment to enabling connection, fostering innovation, stewarding resources, and connecting donors to their philanthropic goals, AFC has become the charitable partner of choice for a visionary family of donors, now more than 1,100 active members strong.
In 2013, AFC challenged the Anglican Church of Canada to imagine more, and those two simple words have changed our conversation with grant recipients. The Foundation’s role in the life of the church has gradually moved away from funding a sense of place to funding a sense of purpose.
The greatest shift has come through creative, youth-focused programs that reveal a church determined to address the needs of young people. Today, AFC’s big-picture view across the church is one of green shoots ministries coming into the fullness of life.
A Decade of Driving Innovation
- 2013: The establishment of the Kids Helping Kids Fund demonstrates AFC’s commitment to the health and wellbeing of children across Canada.
- 2014: AFC initiates a series of Requests for Proposals encouraging Canadian Anglicans to seek new ministry opportunities.
- 2017: AFC celebrates its 60th anniversary with the largest RFP to date: $60,000 for innovative projects to enhance and transform parish ministry.
- 2021: AFC responds to COVID-19 with Say Yes! to Kids—the largest one-time investment in children and youth the Canadian church has seen.
- 2022: AFC refreshes the grants program to provide more application windows, new categories of support, and an increase to the annual grant quota.