What We Do
The Alzheimer Society of Alberta and Northwest Territories (AS AB/NT) is here to help you navigate a diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease or other dementias.
Over 50,000 Albertans and Northwest Territorians are living with dementia; almost 1% of the total population. By 2043, if nothing changes, it is expected this will increase to 225,000, almost 3.5% of the population. There is currently no known cause or cure for Alzheimer’s disease or other dementias, but there is hope for creating a better tomorrow.
Serving Alberta and the Northwest Territories, the Society offers a network of educational and support services for people diagnosed with dementia and their care partners, builds partnerships with health professionals and the community, and advances research into effective treatments and finding a cure for this devastating disease.
How We Help
Our Society links individuals and families affected by Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias to a community of learning, information, and support.
- First Link® – Connects people with dementia and their families to information, support services, and education following diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease or other dementia and throughout the progression of the disease.
- Individual Support – Provides an opportunity for people to ask our staff questions related to their situation and get connected to services available in their community.
- Support Groups – Allows individuals and care partners to receive support, connection, and understanding, either in-person or via live video conferencing, with others impacted by dementia.
- Education – Offers individuals and care partners with evidence-based dementia information that provides more confidence, increased knowledge, and better strategies for living well with dementia.
- Research – Funds research focused on finding treatments, causes, a cure, and improving quality of life.
- Awareness – Ensures that people are aware of the warning signs, learn ways to reduce the risk of dementia, and know where to turn for help.
Each year the Alzheimer Society of Alberta and Northwest Territories supports thousands of individuals who are impacted by Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias. Our services are built to connect individuals and families touched by dementia to a community of learning, information, and support and help them as they navigate a diagnosis of dementia. We support them throughout the entire continuum of care from diagnosis to end of life. We also fund world-class research.
All our services are offered free of charge, which is only made possible through the generosity of donors like you.
“Without the support of the Alzheimer Society, I honestly do not know where Hugh and I would be. I have learned so much about Alzheimer’s disease, how to best take care of [my husband] and myself, and how to prepare myself for the road ahead.” – Debby, Alzheimer Society client