About Amnesty International
Amnesty International is a global movement of more than 10 million people who take injustice personally. We campaign for a world where human rights are enjoyed by all.
Amnesty International has a presence in over 150 countries around the world. Our global teams bring torturers to justice, change oppressive laws and free people jailed just for voicing their opinion.
Around the world we challenge injustice, stand with people and communities who come under attack, encourage governments and others to respect human rights and raise awareness of the international standards that protect us all.
We are funded by members and people like you. We are independent of any political ideology, economic interest or religion.
No government is beyond scrutiny.
No situation is beyond hope
Throughout its history, Amnesty International has won critical protections for individuals and systemic change affecting millions, including:
- We grew the public support necessary for the adoption of the United Nations Convention Against Torture.
- We generated the global support necessary to create the International Criminal Court, so that those responsible for genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity will face justice.
- Our decades-long campaign has led to the death penalty being abolished in law or practice in two-thirds of the world’s countries – a huge change from when we started this work the 1970s, when only 16 countries had abolished capital punishment.
WHAT YOUR GIFTS ACHIEVE FOR HUMAN RIGHTS
- You free prisoners of conscience
- You prevent political killings and disappearances
- You save people from torture
- You protect the rights of children
- You strengthen the human rights of women
- You advocate alongside Indigenous Peoples
- You support brave human rights defenders
- You protect the rights of refugees and people seeking asylum
- You call for an end to discrimination
- You bring human rights abusers to justice
How your gift will be used
How your gifts are put to work:
- Research visits on the ground investigate and expose the truth
- The Urgent Action Network seeks to protect people whose lives are in imminent danger
- Global campaigns focus attention on pressing human rights issues
- Pressure is put on governments and others in power to help stop abuses
- Comprehensive human rights reports are respected and trusted internationally
- Responding to crises, acting quickly to protect human rights when they are threatened
- Extensive media and communications work increases awareness of human rights issues
- Education and training programs build a world where human rights are respected
All our campaigning and research is fact based. We send experts to talk with victims, observe trials, interview local officials, liaise with human rights activists, monitor global and local media, publish detailed reports, inform the news media, and publicize our concerns though numerous channels.
We help stop human rights abuses by mobilizing the public to put pressure on governments, armed political groups, companies and intergovernmental bodies via public demonstrations, vigils, letter-writing campaigns, human rights education, awareness-raising concerts, direct lobbying, targeted appeals, email petitions and other online actions, partnerships with local campaigning groups, community activities, and co-operation with student groups.