About Comox Valley Community Foundation
The Comox Valley Community Foundation is an independent charity registered with Canada Revenue Agency. We work with donors and supporters from all corners of our community to build a lasting legacy for our region.
Donations from community supporters are pooled and invested smartly, and forever. The interest earned from these permanent investments offers a sustainable source of support for local charitable projects.
What We Do:
- Work with donors to align their charitable goals with community needs
- Manage funds entrusted to us responsibly and with integrity
- Invest in the Comox Valley now and forever, through grants, scholarships, resources, and leadership
What began as a conversation amongst community leaders wishing to build “a charitable community savings account” has evolved into an organization that holds $15 million in assets on behalf of all residents of the Comox Valley and directs its resources to address the everchanging needs and priorities of our community.
Since our incorporation in 1996, and with the support of local families, businesses and organizations, the Comox Valley Community Foundation has awarded more than $4.2 million to over 170 local organizations and 230 students in the form of grants and scholarships. These dollars have provided programming and services in support of children and youth, seniors, the environment, arts and culture, adults with diverse abilities, and our community’s most vulnerable residents, from Black Creek to Hornby Island.
Through our community-wide focus, we make a forever impact on this beautiful place we all call home.
How your gift will be used
At the Comox Valley Community Foundation, our view of community is broad and inclusive – so we provide grants to the widest possible range of organizations and initiatives to reflect that perspective.
You can guide the future of your community and the causes you care about by making a legacy gift to the Comox Valley Community Foundation. There are six fund types to chose from and gifts can be split across multiple funds to achieve your philanthropic goals;
- COMMUNITY FUNDS: we evaluate grant applications annually on your behalf, ensuring your donations meet pressing community needs;
- FIELD OF INTEREST FUNDS: you choose to support a particular area of interest, such as health, the arts or the environment;
- DONOR-ADVISED FUNDS: you choose, each year, the charitable organizations you wish to support, and in what amounts;
- DESIGNATED FUNDS: you choose a charity (or charities) to continuously receive the annual income generated by your gift;
- SCHOLARSHIPS OR BURSARY FUNDS: you define the award criteria according to your values and priorities;
- AGENCY FUNDS: you make a donation to a charity’s own fund, to help them create a stable source of permanent income.