About Emily Carr University of Art and Design
Emily Carr University of Art + Design is a learning community devoted to excellence and innovation in Visual Arts, Media Arts, and Design. At Emily Carr University, we believe that creativity is our greatest natural resource.
Established in 1925, we are a school of students, teachers, thinkers, and makers. We are the only specialized, accredited, public, post-secondary university in British Columbia solely devoted to education and research in the creative sector. We merge research, critical theory, and studio practice in an interdisciplinary environment. We strengthen our work by the integration of our personal and professional practices. We are intentionally student-centred to foster dialogue, expression, and open connections in support of the next generation of creative and cultural leaders.
In 2017, the ECU moved from its Granville Island location to a state-of-the-art, purpose-built campus at Great Northern Way. In 2025, Emily Carr University will celebrate 100 years!
We offer four faculties and two areas that deliver our academic programs which include:
• Eleven undergraduate programs
• Two graduate degrees
• A jointly-offered Master of Digital Media
• Year-round certificates, programs, and classes for lifelong creative study delivered from various locations
• Canada’s most intensive research focus in the creative field
• An interdisciplinary faculty and staff who contribute to advance the interests of community, culture, and the economy sustainably, through their professional and personal practices in art, design, and media education, research, and administration
• A dedicated centre for Aboriginal cultural development
• Public galleries, a bookstore, and an extensive art, design, and media library
Emily Carr University of Art + Design is a home for creative minds; a place for students to learn and grow into and across their practices and chosen disciplines. At Emily Carr University, students receive a first-class education in an environment that both supports and challenges them to broaden their horizons. Our graduates are creative citizens, engaged thinkers, and active contributors to the world of art, media, animation, and design.
We are committed to providing our students with the financial support, resources, education, and environs needed to prepare them to become the next generation of social innovators, and creative and cultural leaders. Our funding priorities include:
• Student academic support (scholarships, bursaries, and awards), with a priority of establishing awards for students identifying as Indigenous, Black, or People of Colour
• Emily Cares Student Emergency Fund, providing support when students face unexpected financial challenges
• Building the Emily Carr endowment to address our needs now and into the future
How your gift will be used
When you leave a gift in your will, you are contributing to future possibilities for Emily Carr University – our students, our alumni, and our extended community.
Your planned gift may be directed to an area that is close to your heart such as creating a named student award. Or, you may wish to fund educational resources, research projects, academic programs, or contribute to the Emily Carr University endowment. We will speak with you to discover your philanthropic goals, and help you create a meaningful and lasting legacy.
Your planned gift expresses your commitment to the university’s future well-being. As an honoured supporter, we are excited to welcome you into our creative community, where you will receive regular communications, recognition on our donor wall installation and website, invitations to exhibitions and presentations, and to be a special guest at university events.
Contact us today to learn how you can make the most impact through a gift in your will.