Our work is founded on the principle that caring relationships with animals are integral to a more compassionate society.
Friends of Humane Society International (Friends of HSI) is a national animal protection charity dedicated to preventing cruelty to animals and ending animal suffering. We work to promote the human-animal bonds that transcend socioeconomic, linguistic, cultural, and geographic barriers. We achieve our goals through direct animal rescue, animal sheltering, animal care programs and more. Friends of HSI is proud to be part of the HSI family of organizations, which together comprise one of the largest and most effective animal protection groups in the world.
Canadian Priorities Include:
- Animal rescue and rehabilitation for animals rescued from cruelty and neglect like those from puppy mills, illegal sled dog operations, and the egregious dog meat trade in South Korea
- Advancing the welfare of animals on factory farms, and advocating for plant-based eating to help combat climate change and conserve precious planetary resources
- Wildlife protection
- End the needless suffering of animals
- Develop and foster best practices in animal care and trauma rehabilitation, building capacity for the animal rescue movement across Canada
- Refocusing the food system on foods that preserve the planet, reduce risks of chronic diseases, and increase our ability to feed more people within the Earth’s planetary boundaries
- Reduce rates of euthanasia; provide animals with a chance to recover from trauma and thrive
Humane Society International/Canada is a leading force for animal protection, with active programs in companion animals, wildlife and habitat protection, marine mammal preservation, farm animal welfare and animals in research. In June 2023 we were proud to have achieved a national ban on cosmetics animal testing in Canada. This fall we are focused on advocating for a national ban on elephant ivory and rhino horn.