About Habitat for Humanity Kingston Limestone Region
Driven by the vision that everyone needs a decent place to live, Habitat for Humanity began in 1976 as a grassroots effort on a community farm in southern Georgia. Established in 1994, Habitat for Humanity Kingston-Limestone Region became one of 49 local Habitat organizations in Canada and part of the global network of Habitat for Humanity that operates in more than 70 countries around the world. Families and individuals in need of a hand with affordable housing partner with Habitat for Humanity to build or improve a place they can call home. Habitat homeowners help build their own homes alongside our vast network of generous volunteers who share our passion for lending a helping hand. Affordable housing advocacy comes in many forms, from financial support and volunteering, to speaking out about Canada’s current housing crisis. Everyone can help hard-working families achieve strength, stability, and self-reliance. Through shelter, we empower.
Decent, affordable shelter provides families with a place to gather and grow. Even more, by working with Habitat to achieve affordable homeownership, families can transform their lives.
Affordable homeownership helps free families from instability, stress and fear — encouraging self-reliance and confidence. Studies have shown that stable housing has a tremendous positive impact on family and community health, child growth and development, increased financial stability, and educational opportunity. Owning an affordable home allows homeowners to lift up their entire family by allowing them to save and invest in their futures. When a home fosters health and safety, families flourish.
Through our work in the Kingston-Limestone region, we witness tangible evidence that decent, affordable shelter creates long-lasting and life-changing impact on families and communities.
Of the Canadian families that moved into a Habitat home in 2020
- 47% were single-parents, 53% were two-parent
- 22% were Indigenous
- 20% were new Canadians
- 16% moved into homes designed with accessibility accommodations
- 70% moved from market rental housing, 23% moved from social or subsidized housing and 8% from other living arrangements
- $35 million in social benefits were returned to communities.
- $4 returned for every $1 invested
- $72.6 million was added to the affordable housing stock in Canada.
How your gift will be used
At Habitat for Humanity, we believe that your gift should be unique to you. This is why we allow for you to choose from three different options for how you’d like to leave your legacy with us:
- You can leave us a certain sum, either a percentage of your estate, a specific dollar amount, or by way of transferring traded securities. This option allows Habitat for Humanity to use your generous donation however we think will make the most significant impact on our mission.
- You can leave us with a donation that is intended to go to a specific project. Whether it be a roof for a specific project, or a contribution to a specific fund we have set up, if something we’re doing catches your eye, we will make sure it goes toward that very thing.
- You can leave us a physical asset, ranging anywhere from Real Estate to the contents of your home. We are happy to make use of anything you are willing to contribute to help make a difference in the lives of those who need an affordable housing solution.