About Halton Catholic Children’s Education Foundation (HCCEF)
HCCEF is an independent charitable organization, registered with the Canada Revenue Agency. Since 2012 we have partnered with the Halton Catholic District School Board (HCDSB) to support their students and families in need. Schools identify the student or family in need, and apply to HCCEF for assistance. Funding is used to purchase the need on behalf of the student or family (i.e. basic necessities or access to school activities with a fee). We do not receive any direct funding from HCDSB.
Our mission: To help HCDSB students succeed at school by providing financial support to families in need.
Our vision: All HCDSB students have equitable opportunities at school, regardless of financial barriers.
Poverty remains a powerful factor in whether a student succeeds in school. Low-income students in Halton face financial barriers to learning. Opportunities for many of our youth are not equal, due these financial barriers. Education directly influences students’ life chances – and life outcomes. Every child deserves the opportunity to be successful, to be included and to build their confidence in a nurturing school community.
Our faith guides us to help our neighbours in need. As a Catholic Community, we need to show that we care. 10.5% of children in Halton live in low-income households – an estimated 3600 HCDSB students. Last fiscal year, we were able to help over 300 students. There is a significant gap in the number of students currently being helped and the potential number of students that could be helped.
Our Student Guardian Program helps low-income students to overcome challenges in the following areas:
- ACHIEVEMENT GAP – An achievement gap can form between low-income students and their peers due to financial barriers to learning.
- MENTAL HEALTH – Mental health of low-income students is also a key challenge. Social exclusion, shame, anger, stigma, low self-esteem, low confidence and loss of hope are all issues related to student poverty.
How your gift will be used
Poverty remains a powerful factor in whether a student succeeds in school. Education directly influences students’ life chances – and life outcomes. When you leave a planned gift to HCCEF, you provide opportunities for students to succeed in school and beyond.
Your donation to the HCCEF Student Guardian Program will help Halton students to succeed in school by providing financial support to overcome financial barriers to education. Your gift will provide students in financial need with basic needs (i.e. food and clothing) and access to school experiences (i.e. grade 8 graduation trip; sports team fees), so that they have the same opportunities as their peers.
Your donation will help students who find themselves in challenging situations like these students:
- A homeless mother & son on the path back to stability.
- A family, whose mother has cancer, ease their worry during her treatments.
- A young girl to increase her self-esteem and improve her social skills by experiencing a school trip of her lifetime.
- A high school student with family, social and mental health issues to experience success through the Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program.
- Siblings with their sense of worth and feelings of acceptance by providing back to school clothes and supplies.