About Hospice Huronia – Tomkins House
Above all else, we believe that Living Life to its fullest each and every day, with compassion, dignity and respect is what our community needs.
At Hospice Huronia, we believe that those living with a life-limiting illness and those who love them, deserve exceptional support every step of the way.
In the community, our volunteers provide respite so that caregivers can step out and know that their loved one has a compassionate visiting volunteer to keep them company.
We know that grief begins long before an actual death happens therefore we offer individual and group programs to help.
Most people want to die in their own home, in the own bed however, most Canadians will end up in a Hospital. Often in the Emergency Room and we believe that Tomkins House Hospice offers an option that brings together 24/7 medical care in a homelike environment. While our patients receive great care, their loved ones return to their role as family. They are able to spend whatever time they have, sharing memories and stories as we manage the pain & symptoms of their loved one.
Caring not curing.
Hospice can’t cure our patients but we can work with your doctor to help manage your pain and symptoms.
We can support your family and friends who are struggling knowing that their time with you is limited.
We can keep you out of our Hospital system, whose focus is on treating people and sending them home. Our focus is on living every day until you die with respect, compassion & dignity.
We can support your caregivers who want to keep you at home but as your care becomes too difficult for them to manage on their own, we can help.
We can save healthcare dollars as our model of care is very cost effective. We get 50% funding from the Ministry of Health & Long Term Care and generous donations from our community make up the rest.
These donations mean that there is no cost for our patients and clients for any of our programs or services.
How your gift will be used
- 24/7 nursing care – annually we require $225,000 in donations.
- Personal Support Work – to support your care while at Tomkins House and allow Nurses to manage complex medication & symptom management needs.
- Housekeeping & maintenance – in order to keep our facility in good repair, we need help with contracts such as snow removal/grass cutting & infection control and deep cleaning.
- A homelike environment means cable tv in each room for families to share a favourite show together. It means comfort foods in our kitchen and lush towels to comfort frail skin after a tub.
- We want our clinical team to have access to the latest in Palliative Care education and best practices. Donations can be directed to nursing education.
- We are moving towards becoming a premier leader of grief & bereavement in our region. Whether you need the support of a caring, trained volunteer or the insights of a Masters of Social Work, we offer vital programs for both groups and individuals. New programs include support for:
those who have suffered a loss through addictions or suicide
families whose loved one has chosen a Medical Assistance in Dying.
All those who grieve can receive support at Hospice Huronia.