New Directions is Winnipeg’s largest and oldest social service agency. It serves special needs’ families and individuals of all ages through all stages of life. Most face barriers to success as they have intellectual disabilities, mental health issues and/or emotional and behavioural difficulties. A charitable organization, New Directions offers over 30 programs and services specialized to meet the specific needs of individuals.
There are three broad categories including a few examples of services provided:
- Child Home Services – includes support for families who struggle with parenting, services for deaf individuals and for those impacted by fetal alcohol spectrum disorder (FASD).
- Culture, Education & Training – includes cultural programming for Indigenous foster and adopted children and youth, alternative high school programming and vocational opportunities for marginalized youth. We also offer a healing and education program for individuals who have been exploited through the sex trade.
- Adult Home and Support Services – includes day services related to education, recreation and work experience, staffed residential care, and supported independent living.
Since 1885, New Directions has been evolving to meet the ever-changing needs of our community members. It is our mission to provide responsive and individualized services that foster the hopes and dreams of people and their communities.
The impact of our services is wide ranging. With your support individuals can continue to experience:
- healing from trauma
- skill building
- vocational training and educational attainment
- quality housing supports such as a Cluster Housing for individuals 18+ that grapple with multiple barriers to independent living
- meaningful day services for adults with intellectual disabilities