People who live with mental illness are among the most neglected, marginalized and misunderstood in society.
Since 2003, Our Harbour has been providing a haven in the Greater Montreal area for men and women of diverse backgrounds living with chronic mental illness.
- a caring, cost-effective, long-term housing program
- life-management support
- links with resources in the surrounding community
- individual help with integrating into society
- programs encouraging autonomy, personal development and exploration
- education of the wider community about mental illness
- the only regional Anglophone organization of its kind
- 24 English- and French-speaking clients
- based on Montreal’s South Shore
- 8 apartments, 2 more planned
- 3 part-time bilingual staff
- more than 40 dedicated volunteers
By providing a place to call home surrounded by caring people, we
- maintain a stable living space for as long as needed
- reduce chronic homelessness, hospitalizations and isolation
- reduce suicide stemming from apathy, hopelessness and instability
- avoid personal crises by noticing and managing behaviour changes and lapses
- rebuild trust, hope and community
We enrich the lives of residents by:
- providing fulfilling, stimulating, and enjoyable activities
- strengthening daily living skills and independence
- building confidence and pride through returning to work or volunteering once stable
- forging warm relationships between volunteers and residents
- creating a sense of family and lasting friendships
Programs that engage residents:
- meetings and individualized support from professional social service staff
- recreational, health and wellness activities
- skill-building workshops and information sessions
- events that enrich community life
- the Navigator Program for personal goal setting, coaching and computer skills training
Mario captures the sentiments of many residents when he says:
Since joining Our Harbour in 2014, I’ve watched myself grow more stable and healthier.
I am truly thankful to have found a home here.
We invite you to view our latest newsletter here.
How your gift will be used
Our Harbour is a regional, grass-roots organization that for nearly two decades has relied upon the support of the community: largely from individuals, churches, community organizations, foundations, as well as business and government.
Your gift will make a significant, long-term impact by:
- providing a home, a helping hand and, most of all, hope to people who live with chronic mental illness
- sustaining our mission of care for as long as it is needed by the people we serve
- reassuring families and friends that their loved ones are safe at last
- reducing our reliance on unpredictable and irregular funding
- building the financial foundation upon which Our Harbour can rely for decades to come
- creating a better world and a more compassionate society
The Gift of a Lifetime
You can be the philanthropist who assures our vulnerable residents of a better future. We invite you to use your Will Power to give the gift of a lifetime to Our Harbour.
All gifts are stewarded responsibly and professionally.