Founded in 1975, The 519 is Canada’s most prominent LGBTQ2S community centre and service-provider. The 519 serves marginalized LGBTQ2S communities such as Black, Indigenous and People of Colour and their families, 50+ and elderly, refugees and newcomers, those living with a disability, homeless and street involved, and the Downtown East neighbourhood.
Located in downtown Toronto, we are committed to the health, happiness and full participation of LGBTQ2S communities. A City of Toronto agency and registered Canadian charity, we have an innovative model of Service, Space and Leadership. We strive to make a real difference in people’s lives, while working to promote inclusion, understanding and respect.
Our focus for 2021 and beyond is to respond to the public health crisis and work to improve the social determinants of health for LGBTQ2S communities and our local Downtown East neighbourhood. As public health advisories permit we intend, when possible, to:
- Centre our activities to support our most marginalized LGBTQ2S community members: children, youth and families, 50+ and elderly, newcomers & refugees; and respond to urgent needs of local vulnerable folks such as those living with a disability, homeless and street-involved;
- Resume on-site programs, while continuing several virtual services;
- Introduce new programming to continue addressing the dire food insecurity facing our communities during this pandemic;
- Further develop strategic partnerships to support urgent and emerging community needs;
- Build organizational knowledge and capacity to advance our anti-racism and equity commitments.