About Toronto Arts Foundation
Toronto’s city-wide charity for the arts.
At Toronto Arts Foundation we believe that the arts help cities thrive, and envision a vibrant and creative city where every neighbourhood is enriched by the transformative benefits of the arts.
We work with civic minded philanthropic individuals and organizations to design, develop and implement initiatives that strengthen Toronto’s artists and arts organizations and bring the arts to communities throughout the city. We do this, not only because every Torontonian deserves to enjoy the many benefits of the arts, but because engaged and inclusive communities build strong cities.
“The arts are a priority for our city and I am delighted to support Toronto Arts Foundation’s vision of a vibrant and creative city where every neighbourhood is enriched through art. Toronto will continue to be a leader in arts and culture and we recognize that your hard work and dedication greatly contributes to this reputation. Your [Toronto Arts Foundation] impact on the community is vital to the success of our city.” Mayor John Tory
Toronto Arts Foundation impacts the health of the whole arts ecology of Toronto by:
- Increasing community engagement with the arts through free arts events presented to over 150,000 people annually in Toronto’s parks in underserved areas.
- Celebrating artists through awards, with over $100,000 presented annually in recognition of artistic excellence and leadership which not only provide much appreciated financial benefits, but can also open doors to new opportunities, provide much deserved peer recognition, and inspire and encourage others to continue their work and strive for excellence.
- Increasing the effectiveness of arts organizations through networking and information sharing sessions for Toronto’s 2000+ volunteer arts board members on the art of good governance.
- Strengthening individual artists by providing free skills-building workshops and mentorship programs to hundreds of artists annually in career planning, grant writing clinics, project development and entrepreneurial skills with special support given to newcomer artists and young media artists from equity priority groups including awards, identifying opportunities and paid work experience.
- Supporting the larger arts community through special initiatives created to respond to the needs of the community including financial support for artists and arts organizations during the pandemic and the incubation of local arts hubs.
How your gift will be used
Your gift to Toronto Arts Foundation will go directly to programs that will ensure artists and arts organizations in this city continue to thrive.
“The arts play a crucial role in making our city and our country a great place in which to live and work. One of the best ways to support the arts is by giving to Toronto Arts Foundation. We are all very fortunate to live in the best country and the best city in the world and we all have a responsibility to give back in whatever way we can.” Donald K. Johnson, Arts Philanthropist
“Toronto Arts Foundation is uniquely placed to create programs and opportunities that benefit artists and the communities in which they live, work and engage. From celebrating and investing in an emerging or accomplished artist to animating a park or in fact an entire area of Toronto for the social heath of the community, the Foundation continues to innovate with impact!” Susan Crocker, Past Board Chair and Emerging Artist Award Sponsor