About Victoria Women’s Transition House
Established in 1975 in Victoria, BC with a vision for a community free of violence and abuse, Victoria Women’s Transition House Society (VWTH) collaborates, advocates and educates to address and prevent intimate partner violence and abuse of women and children who witness abuse.
We offer non-judgmental, compassionate care and supportive services for women and individuals who identify as women. Our services include:
- 18-bed Emergency Shelter with a second shelter opened during COVID-19
- 24-Hour Crisis and Information Line
- Stopping the Violence, trauma-informed women’s counselling
- Children Who Witness Abuse/PEACE program – trauma-informed individual and group counselling including Violence Is Preventable (VIP) in-school workshops and Summer/Spring Break Camps
- Older Women’s Safe Home/Outreach including health and wellness programs and expressive arts
- Third Stage Transitional Housing for older women
- Spousal Assault Victim Support
- Regional Domestic Violence Unit
- Family Law Advocacy Project
- Homeless Prevention Program
- Community Education and Volunteer Program
- Each woman has the right to choose the direction of her life according to her own values and needs
- Each woman and child has the right to a safe, respectful environment
- Each woman and child has the right to confidential services
As a Society:
- We value diversity and promote acceptance and inclusion
- We value the unique contributions to the Society by Board members, staff, volunteers, clients, funders, donors, and community partners
- Our work is carried out from a feminist perspective
- We are accountable and fiscally responsible
- We are non-partisan
It is with much respect that we acknowledge that Victoria Women’s Transition House is located on the traditional lands of the Lkwungen and SENĆOŦEN speaking peoples of the W̱SÁNEĆ, Esquimalt, and Songhees Nations.
In 2020-21, Victoria Women’s Transition House assisted thousands of women and children at our Emergency Shelter, Crisis Line and through our many supportive programs and services.
- 250+ women and children accessed Emergency Shelter
- 3110+ calls to our Crisis and Information Line
- 52 online women’s drop-in support group sessions
- 1315 individual Stopping the Violence counselling sessions
- 840 children and youth assisted through PEACE programs
- 249 older women’s individual counselling sessions
- 836 children and youth caregiver sessions
- 701 clients assisted through Stopping the Violence program
- 1300+ queries responded to by the Stopping the violence team
- 73 clients assisted by the Regional Domestic Violence Unit team
- 110 women supported through the Family Law Advocacy project
- 92 volunteers assisted contributing 888 volunteer hours
- 414 client families and individual women supported through the Holiday Hamper project
How your gift will be used
Domestic violence is prevalent in every community and affects people of all ages, incomes and cultural backgrounds. Physical violence with emotionally abusive and controlling behavior is part of a larger, systemic pattern of dominance and control. Domestic violence can result in physical injury, psychological trauma, and even death. The devastating consequences of the violence and abuse can cross generations and last a lifetime.
Your gift to Victoria Women’s Transition House helps us help women and children overcome the impacts of violence and abuse. Your gift supports our Emergency Shelters as well as our 24-Hour Crisis and Information Line, Women’s Counselling, Children Who Witness Abuse/PEACE Counselling (including Summer and Spring Break Camps) and Older Women’s Outreach – counselling, expressive arts and health and wellness programs.
Thank you for your consideration and your support.