YWCA Hamilton changes the lives of the city’s most vulnerable women, girls, and families. From new moms and babies, to isolated seniors, to women struggling with homelessness and violence, YWCA Hamilton helps women rebuild their lives and move from poverty to possibility every day.
Founded in 1889, YWCA Hamilton delivers a wide range of critical programs and services, encompassing women’s housing, child care and youth, employment, health and wellness, and developmental services. Through our work, we impact more than 10,000 women, children, and families each year, with a focus on serving people from racialized communities, those dealing with the impacts of homelessness, poverty, and trauma, and those struggling with systemic barriers to employment and financial security. With core values rooted in feminism, inclusion, and innovation, YWCA Hamilton provides a diverse range of programs and is committed to building equitable communities and changing lives. YWCA programs are inclusive of all women, non-binary, gender fluid and trans individuals of all genders.
At our core:
- 130+ years serving women, girls & families in Hamilton
- 10,000+ people impacted through 60+ programs & services
- 30+ community based locations
- 500 staff & 250 + volunteers championing our mission
YWCA Hamilton strengthens women’s and girls’ voices, broadens their choices, builds dynamic leadership and provides essential and meaningful services that promote safe, inclusive, and equitable communities. We do this by building strong leaders, advancing food security, providing solutions to end homelessness, delivering quality, inclusive child care and youth services, supporting survivors of violence, and advancing women’s economic justice.
Some of our accomplishments of our pandemic response include:
- Combatting food insecurity by providing 57,245 meals to 880 people
- Providing 7,595 overnight emergency shelter stays to women experiencing homelessness
- Supporting 175+ Two Spirit and LGBTQIA+ youth by our speqtrum program
- Offering 5,720+ virtual health and wellness classes for 750+ older adults and members
- Staying connected through 5,200+ hours of check in phone calls to isolated seniors
- Preparing 44 newcomers to Canada over 624 hours of 1:1 counselling and workshops to find employment through Join Employment Services
- Kickstarting the careers of 32 women in skills trades through our General Machinist and Electrician Pre-Apprenticeship Programs
We were there for those who needed us most the during the global pandemic of 1918. And we’re still here supporting and advocating for the women, families and communities most impacted by the Covid-19 crisis.
How your gift will be used
A gift in your will to YWCA Hamilton will help to provide critical services in the areas of employment support and training, housing and shelter, leadership development programs for girls, health and wellness education, and key supports for women and children who have experienced violence.
We are there for women, children and families when they need us most. With your support, we will impact over 10,000 individuals in Hamilton each year. When you make a legacy gift to YWCA Hamilton, you are helping to build a better future for women, girls, and families.