About YWCA Peterborough Haliburton
Our focus is life-saving shelter and support for women and children escaping gender-based violence and abuse. We see women and their children at their most vulnerable moments; thus, we are in position to offer an experience of trust, respect, and genuine care that has the potential to provide a key step towards healing. We take this responsibility seriously.
Established in Peterborough in 1891, we are part of the YWCA’s global movement dedicated to ending gender-based violence. Our powerful continuum of women-centred programs has been built to both prevent and address violence against women, from crisis intervention to healing.
Our Mission is to support the right of all women and their families to live free from violence, poverty and oppression as they build their desired futures.
Our Vision is to see all women and children thriving.
We have been leaders in addressing the needs of women and children in Peterborough and surrounding area for 130 years. We have earned the trust and confidence of the community and raised public awareness about gender-based violence as an important community issue affecting everyone.
Annually, our programs and services provide on average:
- 8,000+ Safe Nights Crossroads Shelter and Haliburton Emergency Rural SafeSpace (HERS) for local women and children experiencing gender-based violence;
- 24 hour confidential support and referrals for 4,600+ women;
- transition support, Family Court support, and clinical therapy for 600+ women;
- rent-geared-to-income housing for 40 women-led households
- fresh, affordable food for 1,400+ community members through cooking workshops, community dinners, JustFood boxes and 30+ community gardens.
How your gift will be used
When you make a gift to the YWCA in your Will, you will be equipping local women and children with the resources and support to safely escape violence and abuse today, and build brighter futures, tomorrow and for generations to come.
With your help, we will be here to interrupt the cycle of violence by providing safe emergency shelter, 24 hour support, resources like affordable housing and nutritious food, and advocating tirelessly for the systemic changes that will lead to a future free from gender-based violence.
Until violence against women is a thing of the past and our services are no longer required, we will be here to help, to lead, and to push for change.