Our Vision; “Everyone has a safe and secure home”
Adsum for Women & Children is leading change in housing through advocacy, supports and services to end homelessness.
For 4 decades, Adsum’s doors have been open for women, children, youth and gender-expansive individuals, who are homeless or at-risk. Adsum for Women & Children provides programs, services and housing – from crisis to stability – with emergency shelter, long term housing, supports, programs and resources that offer a safe place to live, while addressing the barriers of stable housing. We have grown from an emergency shelter to having 8 properties all over Halifax Region.
Adsum means “I am Here” and we are here, in your community, to create hope, security, self-esteem and choice so that everyone has a safe and secure home and can rebuild their lives from crisis to stability.
- We house 160 people every day in one of the Adsum properties
- We provide housing and social work support to more than 100 families and 300 individuals a year, to have safe, affordable and secure housing and the support services to become stably housed.
- Our emergency shelter provided 5,840 bed nights last year, and are too often, turning away women and families, due to lack of space.
- Diverting Families from Shelter to Home program provided affordable and safe transition and permanent housing for 95 women/youth and their 183 children in it’s first 3 years.
- Adsum heavily subsidizes rents to allow people living in poverty to access what would be otherwise unattainable, within their monthly social assistance budgets.
- We help families who are struggling to pay rent, and not dip into the grocery and/or heating budget and have medicine when a child is sick.