The Niagara Community Foundation is a public foundation and registered charity established by and for the people of the communities throughout Niagara. We help good people build smart and caring communities.
We are guided by the following set of principles:
- Enable, collaborate and transform: Enable community improvement by providing funding and community knowledge. Bring organizations together to form partnerships based on the respective strengths of each organization to focus on key community priorities.
- Demonstrate philanthropic leadership : Demonstrate expertise and best practice in philanthropic leadership.
- Put Niagara first: Communicate and support the Niagara story. Build community leadership. Seek and develop individuals who will bring leadership to the community.
- Be trustworthy and transparent: Engage in practices that are open, accessible, fair, objective, flexible, timely and built on a foundation of respect, trust, integrity and honesty.
- Ensure sound governance and management: Ensure that the Niagara Community Foundation governance and management is sound, relevant and realizes its full fiduciary responsibility.
Donor Story- Cooper Family Fund
Grandmothers often hold a special place in our hearts. Trevor Cooper’s two family matriarchs, lived to be 99 and 96, leaving an indelible imprint on the St. Catharines resident. So when it was time for Trevor and his wife Christine to update their estate, they decided to make a lasting impact on Niagara’s senior community in return.
“We were very close with them both,” Trevor said. “I watched them both go through a lot of things and live their lives to the fullest. I wanted to help other seniors experience the same comforts that my grandmothers had.”
The couple established the Cooper Family Fund with the Niagara Community Foundation to benefit causes and organizations that help with caring for local seniors. The fund took little time and work to set up, Trevor noted, making the decision to work with the community foundation even easier.
Setting up an endowment fund gave the family a sense of comfort knowing they could make an impact on seniors today, and then extend their impact by leaving a gift in their will to increase the endowment in the future.
How your gift will be used
As an independent charitable organization, we are limited only by the will and imagination of our donors. We believe in the power of individuals and organizations working together to effect positive change in our communities. Your Legacy gift We encourage projects that promote self-sufficiency and long-term sustainability but we’re not afraid to experiment either. We recognize that innovation, creativity and entrepreneurialism are key contributors to success. We actively seek projects that have the potential for high impact, no matter how big or small they may be.