Supporting, Connecting, and Inspiring Quebec Writers
The Quebec Writers’ Federation is a vibrant and inclusive community organization that provides English-language programs, services, opportunities, and community for aspiring, emerging, and established writers and the wider community in the province of Quebec. Specifically, we work to…
- provide professional development and employment opportunities to Quebec-based writers working in English at appropriate stages of their careers;
- raise the profile of QWF members who are emerging or established writers;
- increase public interaction with the literary arts with a particular emphasis on underserved communities;
- inspire and teach at-risk youth to use language to express themselves in creative and productive ways;
- facilitate contact between qualified writers and members of the community through our online Hire-a-Writer directory;
- share information with the wider community through our online literary database of Quebec English-language literature;
- encourage dialogue and collaboration between Quebec’s English- and French-speaking literary communities;
- create mutually supportive partnerships with literary presenters across the province and with other national, provincial and municipal arts organizations;
- communicate with all levels of government on behalf of our constituency.
Along with career-oriented writers, QWF’s diverse membership of approximately 775 includes those who have a personal interest in writing and many who have joined because they love literature and want to be kept informed about high-quality literary events, activities, and programs. All of our constituents are linked by the QWF’s vision of a lasting place for English literature and its practitioners on the Quebec cultural scene.
We help writers achieve their dreams.
For over thirty years, QWF has helped talented English writers in Quebec build their careers through our activities, awards, residencies, and a host of other opportunities.
Through our work with seniors, we provide means for a minority-language community to keep their stories alive.
We devote tremendous resources to our work with at-risk youth, helping them to achieve their potential by motivating and teaching them to use language to express themselves in productive ways.
We are a home for diverse writers from all walks of life, a place where they can unleash their stories and watch them fly, leaving their mark on readers across Canada and the globe.
“I just wanted to let you know that the short time you spent in our classroom shaped who I am as an adult. I just finished my first screenplay. I can honestly say that if it wasn’t for meeting you, I never would’ve been inspired enough to really think I could do it.”
Quoted with permission from a letter sent to Writers in the Community facilitator Ian McGillis in 2020 by Desrick Walcott, who had participated in a 2010 project.
How your gift will be used
You will make a difference in many lives.
If QWF has made a difference in your life, we’d like you to consider the impact you could have on the next generation of Quebec writers and the future of our organization. Through your legacy gift, you have the power to improve the lives of at-risk youth, give a voice to writers from underserved groups, and inspire seniors to share their stories and connect with their children and grandchildren.
An unrestricted gift will allow us to apply the funds where we most need them or to invest them for future opportunities. But we would be delighted to have a conversation with you in which we learn which of our programs is most meaningful to you and discuss the possibility of a designated gift. If you are considering designating your gift to a particular program, or if you’d like to endow a prize in perpetuity, please do check with us to make sure that we’re able to fulfill your wishes.
Either way, we encourage you to let us know if you’re making a legacy gift so we can thank you appropriately!