Supporting, Connecting, and Inspiring Quebec Writers
The Quebec Writers’ Federation is a vibrant and inclusive organization that provides English-language programs, services, opportunities, and community for aspiring, emerging, and established writers and the wider public in Quebec. Specifically, we work to:
- Provide professional development and employment opportunities to Quebec-based writers working in English at appropriate stages of their careers
- Raise the profile of QWF members who are emerging or established writers
- Increase public interaction with the literary arts, particularly in underserved communities
- Inspire and teach at-risk youth to use language to express themselves in creative and productive ways
- Facilitate contact between qualified writers and the public through our online Hire-a-Writer directory
- Promote Quebec’s literary scene through our online literary database of Quebec English-language literature
- Encourage dialogue and collaboration between Quebec’s English- and French-speaking literary communities
- Create mutually supportive partnerships with literary presenters across the province and with other national, provincial, and municipal arts organizations
- Communicate with all levels of government on behalf of our constituency
Along with career-oriented writers, QWF’s diverse membership of approximately 775 includes those who have a personal interest in writing, those who love literature, and those who want to be kept informed about high-quality literary events, activities, and programs. All of our constituents are linked by QWF’s vision of a lasting place for English literature and its practitioners on the Quebec cultural scene.
We help writers achieve their dreams.
For over thirty years, QWF has helped English-language writers in Quebec build careers through our activities, awards, residencies, and many other opportunities.
We keep stories alive.
Everyone has a story to share. Through our work with seniors, youth, and remote communities, we provide means for people to do precisely that: to share their stories. To keep their stories alive.
We devote tremendous resources to working with at-risk youth, helping them achieve their potential and use language to express themselves in productive ways.
We help make Quebec a diverse, inclusive place.
We are a home for diverse writers from all walks of life, a place where they can unleash their stories and watch them fly, leaving their mark on readers across Quebec, Canada, and the globe.
“… [The] short time you spent in our classroom shaped who I am as an adult. I just finished my first screenplay. I can honestly say that if it wasn’t for meeting you, I never would’ve been inspired enough to really think I could do it.”
Quoted with permission from a letter sent to Writers in the Community facilitator Ian McGillis in 2020 by Desrick Walcott, participant from a 2010 project.