About YWCA Calgary
Voted one of Maclean’s Top 100 Charities of 2020, YW Calgary provides preventive and restorative services to women and their families, when and where they need us most. Over the past century, YW has continued to evolve our programs and services to meet the changing needs of the community and ensure women have the opportunity, ability and resources they need to thrive.
Together with our donors, government and partner organizations, we work to build a safer and more equitable community.
We focus our efforts on three key areas:
- Domestic Violence – Offering preventative services focused on wellness and healthy relationships with an intention of thriving
- Mental Health – Providing preventative and restorative services to support her community, home and workplace wellness
- Women’s Economic Prosperity – Dedicated to empowering women to pursue their ambitions, and participate equally and meaningfully at all levels of economic decision making
We are focused on moving women from a position of vulnerability to one of sustainable strength and opportunity.
Because of incredible support from our community, YW Calgary continues to meet our clients immediate and most basic needs, then works directly with them to create positive change in their lives.
Last Year We:
- Provided 41,000 nights of shelter to women and children in need of safety
- Held more than 600 family and children’s counselling sessions
- Provided over 4,500 classroom hours in our Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada program
- Received over 2,000 calls through our Sheriff King Home crisis line from women seeking safe options; and
- Provided over 1,900 hours of outreach services for individuals experiencing domestic violence
Beyond our programs and services, YW Calgary continues to amplify the voices of vulnerable people and advocate every day to help women, girls and gender-diverse individuals.
As we build the future that we believe women and their families in Calgary deserve, the next evolution is redeveloping our Sheriff King Home crisis shelter site, which will include the addition of an Affordable Housing component. Creating a trauma-informed and inclusive designed space for women and their families seeking safety and providing a stepping stone in restoring their lives.
How your gift will be used
By leaving a gift in your will you are showing a deep commitment to creating a better future for women and their families. YW Calgary, as it has since its founding, will continue to evolve to meet the changing needs of our clients. Our work will continue to provide excellent supports and programs to the women and families who come to our shelters, participate in our programs and connect with us through our outreach.
The impact of your legacy gift will allow YW Calgary to plan for the future, ensuring our voices are louder, our impact is greater and our reach is further.
Only together can we empower change.