The ALS Society of BC was founded in 1981 by ALS patients, their family members and healthcare professional to meet the physical and emotional needs of people living with ALS and their caregivers.
The ALS Society of BC is dedicated to providing direct support to ALS patients, along with their families and caregivers, to ensure the best quality of life possible while living with ALS. By funding research, we are committed to finding the cause of, and cure for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). Our goal is to end ALS through creating a world-class ALS Centre at UBC.
The ALS Society of BC has three principal objectives:
- To provide direct support to patients, their families, and caregivers. This includes an equipment loan program.
- To raise funds for patient services and research, and
- To increase public awareness and understanding of ALS
- Excellent support programs and clinical care for ALS patients living in BC
- Everyone living with ALS, no matter where they live in BC, has equal opportunity to access patient and support programs of the Society to improve the patient’s quality of life, and their families and caregivers. Our support programs include: equipment loan, patient transportation support, psychological treatment, support group and care connect, and camp for children of ALS patients.
- All ALS patients in BC have equal access to the best possible clinical care available. The Society continues to be the voice of ALS patients by advocating healthcare improvement and support to the local and national government, provincial healthcare system and other agencies and organizations.
- ALS Research and Clinical Trials to improve quality of life
- Advance ALS research in BC for possible treatment for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
- Access to clinical trials in BC